[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Alexandru D. Salcianu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:09:12 -0500

Hello Alejandro,

Could you please tell us what is your exact configuration (hw, sw,
bios version, embedded controller)?  There are many kinds of T42's,
and I've encountered both people who are happy with their fan noise
and people who have big problems.  E.g., some people complain that
after they upgraded to the latest BIOS, the fan became noisier.
Knowing the exact configuration will help us isolate the problem.

Also, regarding the [lack of] fan control in Linux, can anyone send a
pointer to a document that describes how this is done?  Is there a
standard anywhere?  By reading the doc for ibm-acpi, I know that it is
possible to control the fan speed on some models from the X series.
So, it should be possible to do some (limited) fan control from
software.

Thanks,

Alex