[ltp] Extending WiFi range

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:15:55 +0100

I own a T40 with the mini-PCI Atheros 5211 card (Philips branded -
resold as IBM 802.11a/b).

Have a few questions:

1) I also own an 802.11a/b/g mini-PCI card (Ath 5212 ?). I seem to
recall that the BIOS might refuse this model ... any pointers ?

2) I would like to know if anybody has "hacked" their beloved Thinkpad
to mount an external WiFi antenna in order to extend the range of the
builtin. If I have understood correctly those microscpoic connectors on
the mini-PCI are called "UFL ultra miniature coax".

In case this is impossible any suggestions for an external WiFi PCMCIA
card known to behave as well as possible under Linux ?

I'd love to be able to work from where I walk my dog in the morning and
with the builtin antenna I am out of range of my AP (which transmits as
200mW IIRC) by a few hundred meters.

TIA,
Bob