[ltp] I must rerun alsaconf before using xmms.

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:33:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Francois Maltey wrote:

> I have
>    /etc/init.d/alsa
>    /etc/rc2.d/S20alsa
>
> There are only theses lines in /etc/modules
>    ide-cd
>    ide-detect
>    ide-scsi
>
> ls -l /etc/modutils/alsa-base
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 7809 2005-01-31 09:51 /etc/modutils/alsa-base
> This file has 127 lines and very few comments with #.
>
> > Do a "locate rules.d".
> I have no rules.d files.
>
> > You could always use the Quick & Dirty method
> > -- insert a call to createdevices into /etc/<wherever>/init.d/alsa.
>
> I don't understand : my kernel has a lot of sound-module when I boot.

Modules aren't important, files are.  Or rather, it's important that the
file be created before the module gets loaded.  There are several ways to
ensure this:

1. The right (?) way
   /etc/modules may allow such constructs as

   before <some module> <some file>

   so that the file is created before the module loads.

2. The brute-force way
   Run snddevices before the modules get loaded.  Edit
   /etc/<whatever>/init.d/S??alsa and run snddevices before the modprobes.

   NB: On my system (2.4.29, ALSA 1.0.5), I don't run alsa at boot time; it
   is loaded as needed (and unloaded when not needed)  I also don't run
   devfs or udev so once devices are made they stay made.

3. The Debian way

   Heck if I know what that is.  Boy I wish someone who had actually done
   this would jump in...

> I see it with lsmod. I can remove some of them, but not everyone.
>
> I can run /etc/init.d/alsa unload. Some modules stay.

My WAG is that artsd from KDE is using them.

> Even if I reload alsa, xmms don't play.
> I must run alsaconf. It calls /etc/init.d/alsa and then xmms plays.
>
> What do alsaconf ? Then I can create a dirty /etc/init.d/S40_my_alsa.

Probably the creation of the devices is all that's necessary.

> I find alsa very difficult !

Eh. once it works it works well.

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al