[ltp] I must rerun alsaconf before using xmms.

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:27:54 +0100

Heloo Eben King, hello Brad,=20

> Modules aren't important, files are.  Or rather, it's important that the=
=20
> file be created before the module gets loaded.  There are several ways to=
=20
> ensure this:

What file ? a call to a configuration file ? or a device-file in /dev ?

> 1. The right (?) way
>    /etc/modules may allow such constructs as
>
>    before <some module> <some file>
>
>    so that the file is created before the module loads.

Yes, I understand ! but what name of file must I put ?=20

I have no snddevices file, I believe it's almost the same as alsaconf,=20
for configuring alsa.

The scripts /etc/alsa/dev.d/alsa-base and /etc/init.d/alsa want a name
of sound card. alsamixer displays  :
Card: Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Chip: Analog Devices AD1981B=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
What I do with this ?

>> I can run /etc/init.d/alsa unload. Some modules stay.
>
> My WAG is that artsd from KDE is using them.

After the last reboot I only do :

        xmms doesn't play.=20
I run : /etc/init.d/alsa stop
        Shutting down ALSA...done.
        xmms doesn't play.=20

I run : /etc/init.d/alsa start=20
        xmms doesn't play.=20

I run : /etc/init.d/alsa force-unload
Terminating processes: 3242.
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0m snd-intel8x0=20
snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc=20
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device.

        xmms run but I hear nothing.
        I must use alsamixer
petoncle:/home/fmy# alsamixer=20
        master level and PCM level are lock to 0=20
        I unlock them (with the M key) and increase them to the top
        The T42 bios sound level seems to be a third level :=20
        I must up this one.

I really don't understand why I MUST force-unload alsa and THEN xmms plays.

What must I change in my /etc/rc2.d/init files ?
Do you understand what in wrong ?=20

I don't see any sound / snd / 810 / 8x0 / audio message in dmesg
nor in /var/log/kern.log nor in /var/log/messages

And thanks for your patience !

Fran=E7ois