[ltp] I must rerun alsaconf before using xmms.

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:04:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Francois Maltey wrote:

> > Modules aren't important, files are.  Or rather, it's important that the
> > file be created before the module gets loaded.  There are several ways to
> > ensure this:
>
> What file ? a call to a configuration file ? or a device-file in /dev ?

A device or several devices.

> >    /etc/modules may allow such constructs as
> >
> >    before <some module> <some file>
> >
> >    so that the file is created before the module loads.
>
> Yes, I understand ! but what name of file must I put ?

I don't know.  But I bet the answer is in the mailing list archives here:

> After the last reboot I only do :
>
>         xmms doesn't play.
> I run : /etc/init.d/alsa stop
>         Shutting down ALSA...done.
>         xmms doesn't play.
>
> I run : /etc/init.d/alsa start
>         xmms doesn't play.
>
> I run : /etc/init.d/alsa force-unload
> Terminating processes: 3242.
> Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0m snd-intel8x0
> snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc
> snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device.
>
>         xmms run but I hear nothing.
>         I must use alsamixer
> petoncle:/home/fmy# alsamixer
>         master level and PCM level are lock to 0
>         I unlock them (with the M key) and increase them to the top
>         The T42 bios sound level seems to be a third level :
>         I must up this one.

Get the levels set where you like them, then as root do "alsactl store".
Then after you load the modules do "alsactl restore".  You _should_ be able
to automate that with /etc/modules.conf but that never worked for me.

> I really don't understand why I MUST force-unload alsa and THEN xmms plays.

Could it be the "/etc/init.d/alsa start" that is significant, and then ALSA
works whether or not its modules are loaded?

> What must I change in my /etc/rc2.d/init files ?

Run alsaconf before the modprobes.

> Do you understand what in wrong ?

Roughly that /dev is created without the device files ALSA needs.  At least
that's what I _think_ the problem is.

--
The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor
with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil to