[ltp] ibm-acpi-0.11

Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:24:57 -0500

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:51:23 -0500, James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
> Daniel Stodden wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 03:22 -0800, Borislav Deianov wrote:
> >

> >>        - Fn key combinations
> >>        - ThinkLight on and off
> >

> >>        - experimental brightness control
> >>        - experimental volume control
> >

> > woah. congratulations.
> >
> > this probably means this is the point one could start thinking about
> > reimplementing a tpb-style application based on a WAY saner interface
> > than the nvram polling tpb is built upon.
> >
> > right? or am i missing anything?
> >

> As I recall, at least in SuSE, (many) Fn keys, volume and ThinkLight
> already work.  Not sure about brightness, but I believe it works too.
> What I'd like to see, is external monitor switching.  Currently, I have
> to switch modes, prior to starting Linux.

they work because the bios handles the events.  with ibm-acpi, the OS
handles the button events and control of the various functions (light,
volume, etc.).  These button events can be mapped to whatever you
want.  you also get control over the light, volume, etc. which you can
then control with software rather than via the buttons only as it is
with bios control.

Alex