[ltp] Now the sound's gone :(

Jean Jordaan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:51:30 +0200

Hi Daniel

> startup alsamixer and _mute_ the "headphone jack sense" and "line jack
> sense" channels.

Hmm. They *are* mute!

But .. curiouser and curiouser .. listen to this. Last night I gave up
and ran this script to return to the original problem (insomniac
radeon): http://www.thinkwiki.org/ACPI_sleep_power_drain_test_script

The laptop shuts down, I remove AC and close the lid. This morning, I'm
woken by the tinny blaring of the music I started playing last night!
Sure enough, the log shows that the battery is still being plundered:

klippie jean # cat /var/log/battery.log
Fri Mar 18 01:08:48 SAST 2005
before: 37900 mWh
after: 0 mWh
diff: -37900 mWh
seconds: 22676 sec
result: -6016 mW
Your model seems to be affected.

So when the battery ran out, some undefined ACPI events were generated
.. yup:

Mar 18 07:37:54 [logger] ACPI group battery / action battery is not defined
                 - Last output repeated 5 times -
Mar 18 07:41:54 [logger] ACPI group processor / action processor is not
defined

The effect was to wake up the poor thing, incidentally resurrecting the
sound card!

I plugged in and opened the lid. X came back, but then an
all-encompassing sense of fatigue overwhelmed the T41, and it went back
to sleep. Press the power button, and it hops out of bed trying to look
like it's been up all along, bravely brings X back, but then trips over
its underpants and starts snoring: hard reset.

Now I've booted back up and things are back to normal. It irritates me
that it can't handle waking up *with AC plugged in*. My 600X on APM had
no problems doing that with a depleted battery. But once S3 sleep is
sorted out, that should bug me less.

Regards,
Jean