[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi-0.11

Borislav Deianov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:04:30 -0800

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:10:08 +0000 (UTC) Alejandro Bonilla <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> wrote:
> Borislav Deianov wrote:
>
> >This is release 0.11 of my ACPI driver for IBM Thinkpad laptops. The
> >features currently supported are:
> >

> When will this version hit the kernel or how do you normally work that?
> Only the more stable versions go in?

I haven't been very good at sending updates after 0.8 to the ACPI
maintainer which is why the kernel still has that version. I'll send
him 0.11 this weekend, hopefully in time for 2.6.12.

> >        - Experimental: embedded controller register dump
> >
> Which one? I didn't even know there was one. What does it do?

All 256 of them. They do all sorts of funky things. For example from
various registers you can read the temperature sensors, keyboard light
status, LCD brightness, volume, fan RPM, battery status, etc, etc. The
problem is that most of them are not named in the DSDT, so it can be
hard to figure out what they do. You can also control many features by
writing to certain registers, but writing stuff at random can quickly
result in a crash or power off. Ask me how I know...

> >Speaking of DSDTs, I'm still looking for the following models: A20p,
> >A22e, A22m, R52, S31, T43, T43p, X21, X23. If you own or have access
> >to one of these, please get in touch.
> >
> I would probably guess that the T43 would have the same as the T42's.
> Well is a new platform, so maybe I'm wrong.

Most models tend to be very close but some differ just enough to break
ibm-acpi. It usually requires at most a simple change to support a new
model, but I need the DSDT to do that. Courtesy of Jeff Lessem, I now
have the T43 DSDT - no change required.

Wishes,
Boris