[ltp] Scared about BIOS update

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:59:26 +0100

On 20 Mar 2005, Matthias Himber wrote:

> > Is there any way for me to upgrade the BIOS when I neither have Windows
> > nor a floppy disk drive? I tried to boot the update disk from a USB
> > stick, but that didn't work.
>
> Use memdisk (it's a part of isolinux):
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/memdisk.php .
> This works with GRUB and LILO too. I believe there was a thread about this
> earlier, check the archives for it.

Found the thread, tried it. Not very successful, though: Now I can boot
the BIOS update tool (that's a progress), but if I go for "update the
system program" it tells me not to touch anything and that the system
was gonna shut itself down after about a minute. But it didn't. After
waiting for five minutes I lost my nerves and rebooted. Nothing seems to
be broken, luckily, but the BIOS wasn't updated.

        Cheers,
            Ingo