[ltp] Re: Request For Assistance with tpctl

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:29:02 +1100

On 21 Mar 2005, dev wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2005 05:54, Thomas Hood wrote:
>> The latest release of the "thinkpad" drivers, version 5.8, works with
>> kernels up to 2.6.8.  The thinkpadpm driver does not work under 2.6.9
>> and higher because it uses functions (put_cpu_ptr, get_cpu_ptr) that
>> have been removed.
>
> Aha! I wonder why I never thought to try downgrading? Thanks for the
> tip. And ... grrr, I've been a loyal Linuxer, but I wish they'd leave
> "stable" kernels alone.
>
> (OT: anyone using *BSD on Thinkpads? Is that, in your opinion, an
> option worth exploring?)

I know a number of people who do.  If you are happy using one of the BSD
derivatives[1], go for it.  They work as well as a Linux derivative, in
general.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Personally, other than FreeBSD, I don't think so, but other people
     obviously have a different opinion on the matter. :)

--
The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
my day so wretchedly into small pieces!