[ltp] Scared about BIOS update

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:12:05 +0100

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:27:49 +0100, Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> wrote:

> Might find the following interesting:
>
> Anatomy of the Linux boot process
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-migrate2/?ca=dgr-lnxw09BootProcess

I won't say I understand all of that, but it looks like the BIOS doesn't
like the hda3 boot sector, while the Windows bootloader has no problem
with it. That's why I thought a BIOS update could be helpful.

>> [...] so I could go back to the "factory setting" by changing the
>> active partition again.
>
> that sad day you could just fdisk /mbr

Assuming I had a windows cd around... OK, maybe I'm too paranoid, but I
just wanted to touch as few things as possible in the windows
installation. Anyway, with a timeout of 3 seconds it's not such a big
problem.

>> Also, I have the "problem" of the "Access IBM" key at boot time and
>> exiting the BIOS setup, which leave the computer in an eternal loop
>> state,  and I'm afraid it was the "failed" BIOS update who did that...
>>

> Did you use a wrong BIOS image, was the download corrupted or did it
> abend while upgrading ?

I'm almost sure I dowloaded the right image, maybe the dowload was
corrupted, but I usually don't get that, it would be bad luck. The upgrade
didn't report any error, it just got stuck for like 15-20 minutes before
rebooting, when it said that could take "some seconds".
By the way, how can I check the Embedded Controller Program version when I
don't have the predesktop area?