[ltp] mwave on tp600e makes me crazy

Davide Natalini linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:35:34 +0100

I've got a Debian testing on my tp600e 2645-3A, 288 Mb RAM, PCMCIA
realtek network card. Debian was been able to make work everything exept
  the modem, and that's quite strange because on Slackware 9.1 and 10 it
was working well.
I run ps2.exe from my FreeDOS partition (;-)) and configured the system
like this:

                                       IRQ Level
                                       3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                  :    X
Parallel (5 or 7)                  :          O
Internal Modem First IRQ           :               O
      (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4) :  O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM               :      O
      (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)  :            O
IR (3, 4, 5, 7)                    :    O
Second IDE (System)                :                     O
Second IDE (Docking station)       :                     X
Third IDE                          :                  X
PCI IRQ                            :                  O

Curiosly the mwave module complains an irq conflict with IR (in fact it
probabily conflicts with the serial port, that seems to be enabled by
tpctl).
After some tries I can remove this conflict, but not have the modem working.
So I moved the modem to /dev/ttyS0:

                                       IRQ Level
                                       3 4 5   7 9 10 11 15
Serial-A (3 or 4)                  :  X
Parallel (5 or 7)                  :          O
Internal Modem First IRQ           :               O
      (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, or 15)
Internal Modem Second IRQ (3 or 4) :    O
WSS/Sound Blaster/FM               :      O
      (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)
MIDI port (5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 15)  :            O
IR (3, 4, 5, 7)                    :  O
Second IDE (System)                :                     O
Second IDE (Docking station)       :                     X
Third IDE                          :                  X
PCI IRQ                            :                  O

and now I've got this:

root@thinkpad:~# tpctl -rx
thinkpad: I have registered to handle major: 10 minor: 170.
resource state:                        ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
superio: Super I/O chip (non-virgin) in plug-n-play mode found at port
base 0x2e. :-)
    floppy controller:                   0x3f0 IRQ6  enable
    parallel port:                       0x3bc IRQ7  enable ext
thinkpadpm: Found APM BIOS version 1.2 flags 0x03 entry 0xb8:0x0. :-)
thinkpadpm: Power state of device 0x400 could not be got; 0x9999 was
returned as the state -- APM error 0x1
    serial port 1:                       0x0   IRQ0 disable (error)
    serial port 2:                       0x2f8 IRQ3  enable
root@thinkpad:~# rmmod mwave
root@thinkpad:~# /etc/init.d/mwavem start
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
Starting Mwave modem: (module mwave already loaded) (daemon failed to
start).
root@thinkpad:~# tail /var/log/syslog
Mar 23 10:49:37 localhost kernel: thinkpadpm: Found APM BIOS version 1.2
flags 0x03 entry 0xb8:0x0. :-)
Mar 23 10:49:37 localhost kernel: thinkpadpm: Power state of device
0x400 could not be got; 0x9999 was returned as the state --
APM error 0x1
Mar 23 10:49:55 localhost devfsd[323]: error calling: "unlink" in "GLOBAL"
Mar 23 10:50:02 localhost kernel: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
Mar 23 10:50:02 localhost mwavem: MwaveAPIInit - StartMwaveSubsystem failed
Mar 23 10:50:02 localhost mwavemd: Started the Mwave manager ...
Mar 23 10:50:02 localhost mwavemd: mwave modem, initializing mwave
manager...ERROR
Mar 23 10:50:02 localhost mwavemd: Cleaning up, unlinking
/dev/Mwave-modem and exiting.

my kernel is a custom 2.6.7 and I'm goig to upgrade to 2.6.10.

Can anybody help?
Thanks
davide