[ltp] Building kernel for 750P

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:46:41 -0600

> From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger@badenit.de>
> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:12:24 +0100

> > Should I try enabling PCI? (And have the kernel build take 20 hours)
> >
> > Should I hack more source? (And still maybe not have a
> > booting machine)
>
> You should compile the kernel an another machine.
> (Seriously!) There's no
> reason you can't use your config on a machine that can
> compile more than one
> kernel a day and then copy the bzImage to your 750.
>
> If you somehow absolutely don't have another machine, then
> forget gentoo on
> that brick and try a binary distribution. Otherwise you will
> never be happy
> (ever again).

I don't have a problem with waiting, as I have lots of other things
to do. I don't have another machine on which to run gentoo. They run
Fedora... a binary distribution I am quite happy with.

However, this beastie is so old, I hoped a custom config from the
ground up would make it work well enough to use as a print server.

So building on another machine, with different versions of gcc and
libraries is probably not a good idea. Distcc won't work in any case.

So I would REALLY appreciate tips on setting menuconfig options to
get a working kernel out of the 2.6.10-r6 (gentoo-dev-sources) code.
Since I have everything done up to the kernel, this last step would
be really nice to complete.

I would also appreciate leads on a useful binary distribution that
can be installed from a floppy and network card. I tried Slackware
and Debian, but I'm not familiar with them and they didn't work too
well either.

Many thanks,
Chris