[ltp] Has anybody witten mails to ati for their bad drivers ?

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:49:56 +0000

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> Tasmanian D wrote:
>
>> Nils wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>> has anybody written mails to ati for their bad drivers ? (e.g.
>>> FireGL T2)
>>

> They know they SUCK.
>
>>> Who needs a notebook driver without resume support ? This problem is
>>> now over an year old !!!
>>> I think this is my last computer with an ati card....
>>> Nils
>>

>> .
>> Unfortunately not too many Thinkpads around WITHOUT ATI cards :-(
>

> ??????????? Almost all the IBM's use ATI Cards.
>
>> Not only suspend is not supported but when I last tried with 8.08.25
>> TV-out was working only in terms of showing something on TV but not
>> in terms of showing something readable.
>

> I hate the ATI drivers, SO I rather not use 3D. Anyway, why don't you
> create a script to remove the ati module

The whole reason for suspending is so you don't have to restart all
those apps you have running already... Shutting them down & the X server
& removing the modules, you might as well turn the damn laptop off &
reboot again afterwards. Plus until recently trying to exit X when using
ATI's drivers would lockup the laptop anyway...

> ; suspend ; and when back then load the module again.?? I have no idea
> if you can do this? I do it with other stuff that prevent me from
> suspending.
>

>> .
>> But well, we have X.org supported now, let's hope that ATI will keep
>> improving!

Ah... We have XOrg now... With reasonable results. And getting better.
Thanks to one person in particular who started the r300 project & a
handful of others who help him. As for ATI continuing to improve, I'd
rather they threw their weight behind the r300 project & helped that
than try & pretend it's worth keeping the hardware secret. Hopefully one
day the graphics chip manufacturers will learn the lesson that CPU
manufacturers already know... If you keep the interface secret,
eventually no-one will buy your chips.