[ltp] Noisy fan on T42

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:54:30 +0100

Hi Alexandru.

On Mi, 2005-03-09 at 10:11 -0500, Alexandru D. Salcianu wrote:
> Many thanks to all the people who replied to my email!  Unfortunately,
> my fan is still on and noisy (honestly, did anyone ever managed to
> stop a T42 fan?  I started to doubt this ...)

I did doubt this, too, but finally managed it one time:

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2005-February/024344.html

However, this was a rare case (although I'm sure, I could reproduce it
and stop the fan again).

Normally, my fan is running at 3000rpm, which is AFAIK its lowest level
and I can cope with its noise. This is in a very hot machine (2GHz
Dothan, ATI Fire GL T2, 1 GB RAM, etc.) and even with ACPI, C3 active,
no CPU load, Xorg's (Alex's ;-)) DynamicClocks active, the fan won't
stop under normal conditions, but stay at its lowest (and quite quiet)
level. (Of course, it accelerates under CPU load, but slows down again
later.)

> terminates and the CPU temperature goes down to 42 C, the fan still
> stays at 100% ...  The fan never comes back to a normal speed.

It probably won't stop, but it should get back down to its lowest level
(~3000rpm). Especially, since you have been taken all possible steps to
reduce the load.

This should not be a linux issue, since the fan is controlled by the
BIOS. (However, you wrote it works with your windows... But I don't
know, it windows takes over control of the fan via ACPI...)
You could check, wether you have the newest BIOS and embedded controler
versions, but unfortunately, I would almost bet, this won't solve the
problem for you.

Cannot offer more help, sorry. :-(

Greetings, UW(e)