[ltp] nautilus unusably slow when ipw2200 loaded

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:48:22 -0500

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

I don't use gnome or nautilus, but have you checked that your /etc/hosts
file properly defines localhost/127.0.0.1?  If only this app slows down
and not the entire system (ie, jerky mouse, etc), then its possible that
once you have an active network device it's trying to use that for name
resolves.  Similar for resolv.conf - see if you're point somewhere.
When you have no network devices active, the route immediately fails and
you don't wait forever for the lookup timeout. When you have an
interface thats up but can't get to the server, it'll spend a long time
trying.  It's entirely possible to bring up the TCP level on a wireless
device without configuring the wireless - end result, same as giving an
ethernet NIC with no cable an IP.  It tries for a while before it fails.

Also check that you're not trying to use, say, NIS for username lookups.
If you had an IP configure dinterface that didn't go anywhere, you'd get
a lot of lag on timeouts.

Just two ideas to check, good luck.

-m