[ltp] S3 suspend on the R51: Success stories?

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:45:23 -0500

Hi.

I recently purchased an R51 2883ELU. I am trying to get S3 suspend to work on
this machine. I run Gentoo Linux with a 2.6.11.5 kernel.org kernel with a
custom patchset [1]. The BIOS and EC controller program are the latest for my
model, 1.21 and 1.04, respectively. It is important to note that it has an
Intel 82855GM graphics controller, not an ATI chip.

The problem I am running into is that the machine freezes hard on resume,
regardless of whether I suspend from a console or X. It does power up the
external display if one is attached, and it displays the contents of the
framebuffer console at suspend (usually just the cursor). I have tried
removing all modules that can be removed. I have also tried adding both
s3_bios and s3_mode as an acpi_sleep= parameter...nothing. I should note I
have a Intel 82855GM-based desktop PC where the s3_bios parameter is
necessary to get it to power up the display (it is fine otherwise).

I realize this isn't much information, but I don't have a whole lot at this
point. I'm trying a vanilla kernel with no patches to see if my patchwork
kernel is responsible somehow. The point of this mail really is to ask if
anyone has any success stories on similar hardware, and of course if you have
any good tips, please send them along :).

Andrew

[1] Suspend2 2.1.8.2, ACPI 20050311, vesafb-tng, fbsplash 0.9.1, Dothan
SpeedStep patch, TrackPoint psmouse patch.