[ltp] Trouble setting ACPI on a A21e 2628-J1G

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:49:47 -0700

Marco Gaiarin wrote:

>Ok, i've installed ubuntu warty on this A21e, recompiled 2.6.11.5 kernel
>and start configuring it.
>Plain 2.6.11.5 kernel, so i'm using ibm-acpi 0.8.
>
>I've encountered some probems setting up all the stuff, or at least
>some differences from my 600e/apm/tpctl setup:
>
>1) there's no way to load cpu clock modulation, if i do:
>
>	modprobe speedstep-smi
>
>i got error, even if i load speedstep-lib with relaxed-check=1 and
>kernel compiled with CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_RELAXED_CAP_CHECK=y, as
>thinkwiki.org suggest.

The 600E is a Pentium II and does not support Speedstep.

>2) hem... someone have just done the acpi script for ``standard
>things'' (suspend if lid closed and battery, hibernate if battery goes
>too low, ...) and can give to me? ;-)))
>I've installed acpi-support and ibm-acpi packages, but both provide
>only minimal set of scripts...
>
>3) i can do:
>
>	echo standby > /sys/power/state
>
>and the system stanby, but the lcd remains lit, all things seems work
>because if i close the lid lcd shut off, and if i open the lid the
>system come back from standby.
>It is correct?
>4) hybernate seems work correctly, but only with:
>
>	echo disk > /sys/power/state
>
>if i use ``echo -n 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep'' as thinkwiki.org suggest all went
>well but the system does not shut off (remain with a acpi_poweroff last line,
>and you have to shut off manually).
>Both way the restore goes very well, cool!

The first method is actually preferred over the sleep method.

>5) there's someware a list of acpi event? For example, i think that if
>battery goes too low (<5%?) an event are fired up, and i want to catch (to
>do a emergency hibernate).
>

>Many thanks to all.

Good luck and enjoy.  You should also think about using .11 as it has
additional functions designed to support the earlier (like your 600E)
systems.

James McKenzie