[ltp] swap problem (!)

Ingo van Lil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:00:53 +0200

On 27 Mar 2005, Matthias Posseldt wrote:

> And, that is most important, be very careful when booting rescue CDs and·
> the like. They almost always activate the swap partitions and use them.·
> That will destroy your data. So boot these CDs with a "noswap" option·
> or the like.

I'm pretty sure these rescue CDs only activate swap partitions if the
partition type is set to 0x82 (Linux swap). Just calling mkswap on that
will modify the partitions contents but leave the partition type
unchanged.
For restoring the file system I'd give debugfs a try. It's a very
powerful tool and included in every distribution. You can specify an
alternative block number from which to read the superblock using the -s
option.

        Cheers,
            Ingo