[ltp] Sony Ericsson GC79 & T-Mobile

John Sullivan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:37:49 -0500

Crispian Thorne <linux@crispian.org> writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with this card/plan? I'd just like to
> get some input before I take the plunge as the plan is a 12 month
> contract. I'm running Libranet (a Debian-based distro) 2.8.1, 2.4.26
> mostly, but can also boot into Mepis or Ubuntu, T21, 800MHz, 384 RAM.

I don't have that card, but I am successfully using Tmobile's GPRS plan over
bluetooth with a Sony Ericsson T610. Debian unstable on an X40.

There are occasionally some nameserver issues that I haven't investigated much
yet, but otherwise it works well enough to recommend. It's not fast by any
definition, but if you have any experience with GPRS access, you probably
already know that.

Make sure you check Ebay for that card if you decide to go with it; I saw some
deals that were $50 for the card if you signed up as a new customer for a year
with the GPRS plan you are talking about. Not that I vouch for the credibility
of those places.