[ltp] Unsubscribe

Nasser Momtaheni linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:53:26 -0800

--=_alternative 0061BA3588256FD5_=

How can I unsubscribe? Please accept this as a request for unsubscribe, or
let me know the procedure to do so. Thanks.

Regards,
Nasser C. Momtaheni
Grid Computing
IBM Innovation Center
2929 Campus, San Mateo, CA 94403
nm@us.ibm.com, 650-524-5030, tl 988
Yogi Berra: "If you don't know where you're going, you just might get
there."
http://www.ibm.com/grid, http://www.ibm.com/linux,
http://www.developer.ibm.com/iic

Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
Sent by: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
03/31/2005 06:58 AM
Please respond to
linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org

linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
cc

Subject
Re: [ltp] t23 hanging at boot after "Checking 'hlt' instruction" at boot

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Adam Olsen wrote:

> Adam Olsen wrote:
> > I've just installed sarge on my t23.  The stock kernel runs fine, but
> > want to roll my own kernel for the perposes of swsusp support.  For
some
> > reason, any version I try (I've tried 2.6.8.1,10,11.6) it hangs at
boot
> > right after the Checking 'hlt' instruction line.  I've disabled acpi
and
> > apic, but this doesn't change anything.
> >
> > I've compiled my own kernels on archlinux before without a problem.
> >
> > What could I be doing wrong here?

> Another note - it sounds like it might actually be doing something... I
> just can't see any progress after that point.  I can hear the drive
> clanking away...

The next entries in dmesg under 2.6.9 are:

ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Edge set to Level Trigger.
NET: Registered protocol family 16
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd8d6, last bus=8
PCI: Using configuration type 1

It's not unlikely you don't have ACPI, it's possible you don't have
network
support, but I think it would be quite odd if you didn't have PCI support.

But I think what Tino Keitel said is more likely, that you didn't include
virtual console support.

You could check out /var/log/messages or reboot with "<kernel label>
init=/bin/sh" and copy /var/log/dmesg before it gets wiped out.

AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the
back of a speeding bus.  Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

--=_alternative 0061BA3588256FD5_=

this as a request for unsubscribe, or let me know the procedure to do so.
Thanks.</font>
Regards,<br>
Nasser C. Momtaheni<br>
Grid Computing<br>
IBM Innovation Center<br>
2929 Campus, San Mateo, CA 94403<br>
nm@us.ibm.com, 650-524-5030, tl 988<br>
Yogi Berra: &quot;If you don't know where you're going, you just might
get there.&quot;<br>
http://www.ibm.com/grid, http://www.ibm.com/linux, http://www.developer.ibm.com/iic</font>
&quot;Checking 'hlt' instruction&quot; at boot</font></table>
&gt; Adam Olsen wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; I've just installed sarge on my t23. &nbsp;The stock kernel runs
fine, but I <br>
&gt; &gt; want to roll my own kernel for the perposes of swsusp support.
&nbsp;For some <br>
&gt; &gt; reason, any version I try (I've tried 2.6.8.1,10,11.6) it hangs
at boot <br>
&gt; &gt; right after the Checking 'hlt' instruction line. &nbsp;I've disabled
acpi and <br>
&gt; &gt; apic, but this doesn't change anything.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I've compiled my own kernels on archlinux before without a problem.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; What could I be doing wrong here?<br>
&gt; Another note - it sounds like it might actually be doing something...
I <br>
&gt; just can't see any progress after that point. &nbsp;I can hear the
drive <br>
&gt; clanking away...<br>
The next entries in dmesg under 2.6.9 are:<br>
ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Edge set to Level Trigger.<br>
NET: Registered protocol family 16<br>
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd8d6, last bus=8<br>
PCI: Using configuration type 1<br>
It's not unlikely you don't have ACPI, it's possible you don't have network
support, but I think it would be quite odd if you didn't have PCI support.
&nbsp;<br>
But I think what Tino Keitel said is more likely, that you didn't include
virtual console support.<br>
You could check out /var/log/messages or reboot with &quot;&lt;kernel label&gt;<br>
init=/bin/sh&quot; and copy /var/log/dmesg before it gets wiped out.<br>
-- <br>
-eben &nbsp; &nbsp;ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm &nbsp; &nbsp;home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar<br>
AQUARIUS: &nbsp;There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes
to the<br>
back of a speeding bus. &nbsp;Fill the void in your pathetic life by playing<br>
Whack-a-Mole 17 hours a day. &nbsp;-- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_<br>
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad<br>
</tt></font>
--=_alternative 0061BA3588256FD5_=--