[ltp] gnome-vfs and x40 docking station

David Tansey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:45:35 -0500

note: i use ubuntu (hoary) with 2.6.10 kernel and gnome 2.10

I have an x40 and a docking station. normally, when i boot (in the
docking station, where my usbdisk is plugged in and cdrom drive is,
gnome-vfs mounts them and puts entries into /etc/fstab. when I undock
and dock (using ibm-acpi and some fairly basic /etc/acpi scripts) again
the two are mounted, but /etc/fstab doesn't get any entries. this
includes if i unmount the cdrom and put in a different disk. it is true
until i killall -HUP gnome-vfs-daemon (might be a better way to do it,
but what's what i do.)

i noticed this when I put in a DVD that I wanted to watch later. I
closed the automatically launched totem. when I opened totem again I
couldn't press movie->play disc. it said there was no entry in fstab.

that confused me, because i had done the same thing before. i rebooted,
thinking that maybe something major had been updated. after rebooting,
all worked! i tried mounting and unmounting and everything still worked.
only when i undocked and docked again did it stop.

has anyone else had this problem? is there a good way to solve it
(besides putting the killall into the dock.sh script?)

thanks!
david