[ltp] Replacement Drive for T30?

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 1 May 2005 21:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

	I've upgraded a T30 to a HGST 60GB/7200 RPM drive.  Though I'm
starting to hear the drive has been discontinued -- not sure what's up
with that.  I don't see why you couldn't use just about any modern 2.5"
drive, but that's the only one I've actually used myself.

	Anyway, if your machine had a system recovery partition (forgot
whether the T30 did, but I assume from your question that it does), it'll
be on the old drive and won't work on the new drive.  You'll have to order
a set of CDs from IBM (or use a Dell Windows CD or something) if you want
to install Windows on the new drive (if it's WinXP, the CD key on the
laptop doesn't typically work with retail/MSDN install discs).  But
usually if you call IBM support and tell them you're upgrading the drive,
they'll send you a CD set free of charge.

Aaron