[ltp] Lightening Debian

Mon, 02 May 2005 14:22:45 +0200

--=-JC6F8OpPjhyevOst8WG9

Hi,

> 1.  Load a lighter window manager.   Fluxbox (IIRC) is available on the C=
D's,=20
> and I've downloaded Windowmaker and Xfce from debian.org.  =20
>=20
> But should I just change   X-window-manager  and leave  X-session-manager=
 =20
> pointing to Gnome?

No, only replacing the window manager won't do it (and besides you can
change the WM gnome uses using gconf-editor).

I'd recommend using a good light WM like fluxbox, pekwm or windowmaker,
leaving the gnome stuff installed, but not launching gnome-session at
all. This way you'll get rid of gnome-session, gnome-panel and the
nautilus desktop, which are performance killers. Make sure that you
still start gconfd and the gnome-settings-daemon with X, so that your
gnome apps will work properly. Also go to the gconf-editor once and
adjust nautilus not to manage the desktop by default (there's a setting
for that).

You won't need to get rid of GDM, by the way, since it doesn't do much
once your X session is launched.

Andr=E9.

--=-JC6F8OpPjhyevOst8WG9

--=-JC6F8OpPjhyevOst8WG9--