[ltp] Replacement Drive for T30?

Alejandro Bonilla linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 May 2005 19:14:34 -0600

To whom It may concern:

>Two items to be careful of when buying a new drive....
>1)  Each drive has its own power consumption and heat output.
>Be sure that you're not sucking too much power or putting out
>too much heat.  You can check this by looking up the engineering
>data on the original and replacement drives at the manufacturers'
>sites.

The worst thing that can happen to me is to get a sucky laptop like my
Dell that the HDD would do 43C easily...

It sucks, to have an HDD that will burn your palm. Really be carefull
with this. I wouldn't go cheap with this one....

I was discussing with some friend about the HD that IBM uses and they
simply now use a common brand, like Fujitsu or so, but the point is that
Fujitsu makes a special model or quality for IBM, dude, this is why We
pay $2K for an IBM and $980 for a Dell.

My Dell would do 43C, and the IBM would hardly reach 34C. Big
Difference. This is why I switched.

>2)  Some drives are 12mm think, others 9.5 mm thick.  Match the
>thickness of the drive you're replacing.

Your drive should be 9.5mm. This is very Standard, but still you need to
check the spec.