[ltp] Lightening Debian

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2005 07:29:15 +1200

To everyone who said (correctly)  "add more RAM" - I'm working on it....
but meanwhile, I thought it would be a good exercise (and teach me some stuff
I probably ought to know) to try and make Sarge run in 64MB.    After all,
that's what Damn Small Linux and Morphix Light GUI and a few others do.

It's also what standard Debian Woody does, perfectly happily, with no
tweaking whatever.

Actually,  If you look at the specs of my Thinkpad -   550MHz, 6GB hard
drive, 64MB  RAM - it becomes obvious that its speed is OK, its hard drive
space is big, just its RAM is very small. So, I can happily install all the
apps I want to, so long as I don't try to run them all at once.   This is
another reason I decided to try and use Debian Sarge rather than Damn Small
Linux etc - because those lightweight distros also aim at small size, which
is something I don't need, by cutting down on the apps they include.

cr