[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #881 - 39 msgs

Manuel Carro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 03 May 2005 13:20:03 +0200

>> Really old Gnome versions are a lot lighter in terms of memory/CPU usage
>> than the current Gnome releases.  Have you considered using a lighter
>> desktop environment than Gnome - maybe XFCE?  You should still be able to
>> run all your Gnome apps - just with less overhead.

    Even if I am not using an environment short of CPU or memory (1600
MHz, 512Kb), I switched to XFCE and I am very happy.  Everything is
just lighter.  Occasionally I start nautilus because I do actually do
not like very much the current XFCE file manager -- but I do not use
file managers much, I am more an Emacs & command line person.

        MCL
Don't create a problem for which you do not have the answer.