[ltp] Lightening Debian

Hugo Santiago Carrer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 May 2005 12:55:48 -0300

On 5/2/05, cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> I've just installed Debian Sarge on my  Thinkpad i1200 (550MHz, 64MB RAM)=
 and
> it's very overloaded in X with Metacity as the default window manager, it
> just about grinds to a halt.   I'd hoped it wouldn't, since Debian Woody
> (with Sawfish as default window manager) runs quite happily, even apps li=
ke
> Opera, Quanta, Gimp etc without a trace of sluggishness.
>=20
> I've killed (renamed)  gdm so I now have a command line login, so I can
> fiddle around and break things with ease and convenience   :)
>=20
> Two ideas occur to me:
>=20
> 1.  Load a lighter window manager.   Fluxbox (IIRC) is available on the C=
D's,
> and I've downloaded Windowmaker and Xfce from debian.org.
>=20
> But should I just change   X-window-manager  and leave  X-session-manager
> pointing to Gnome?
>=20
> 2.   Kill a few daemons.   Desktop-Linux.net suggests doing that, but the
> apps it mentions (Ksysv and Gnome-system-tools) are of course GUI-based, =
and
> the other one, chkconfig, is apparently rpm-based.     Are there any non-=
> debian equivalents?
>=20
> Am I heading in the right direction here?    Or am I missing something? (=
very
> probable :)      Any comments welcomed.
>=20
> cr

I have sarge running on a K6II with 64MB (Toshiba satellite), no
graphical login at all, just startx with windowmaker. It runs quite
nice, I can run abiword, firefox, evolution, etc of course some times
there is some swaping involved but it is perfectly usable.

For sure adding more RAm is the way to go. At least it will be faster
than installing gentoo and wait for X to finish compiling ;-) (just
kiddin).

Hugo