[ltp] Lightening Debian

Brian Nelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 May 2005 10:10:26 -0700

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:58:16PM +0200, Flavio Visentin wrote:
> > 2.   Kill a few daemons.   Desktop-Linux.net suggests doing that, but the
> > apps it mentions (Ksysv and Gnome-system-tools) are of course GUI-based, and
> > the other one, chkconfig, is apparently rpm-based.     Are there any non-X
> > debian equivalents?
>
> update-rc.d -f daemon-name remove
>
> Note: if you update a package you must rerun the command, since the
> installation package recreates the links.

Err, yeah, that's why you shouldn't use that command.  It's designed to
be run from package scripts, and is not designed to be a general purpose
tool to manage the symlinks.

You should instead remove the symlinks directly, or use rcconf,
sysv-rc-conf, etc.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.