[ltp] Lightening Debian

jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 May 2005 14:36:21 -0400

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 11:25, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> While folks on the list may well flame me for years, ...
>
> I would also suggest a Gentoo installation specifically because you can
> fully fine-tune what you want installed and what you don't want. This saves
> precious disk and RAM space and also meets your educational goal of
> teaching yourself "some stuff."  :)

Not flaming, but wouldn't that be time consuming on a 550MHz machine with
minimal RAM?  Or is there a faster install option for Gentoo now?

I agree with the idea of having a customized "only what is wanted"
installation once it finishes compiling. But starting with something like
Damn Small Linux (or similar) would give almost the same effect but would be
a lot quicker to install. And if optimised code is desired, apt-build will
take care of that for you.

Jeff