[ltp] Lightening Debian

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 May 2005 09:10:34 +1200

On Wed, 04 May 2005 06:36, jeff wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 May 2005 11:25, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:
> >
> > While folks on the list may well flame me for years, ...
> >
> > I would also suggest a Gentoo installation specifically because you can
> > fully fine-tune what you want installed and what you don't want. This saves
> > precious disk and RAM space and also meets your educational goal of
> > teaching yourself "some stuff."  :)
> >
> Not flaming, but wouldn't that be time consuming on a 550MHz machine with
> minimal RAM?
It takes from Saturday afternoon till Wednesday morning to compile an X-11 and KDE
system on a 400MHz P/II with 128 megs RAM.

> Or is there a faster install option for Gentoo now?
Yes, You can load the desired packages from an archive of binaries.
This archive is by no means complete, but it includes many if not most of the core
applications. The Gentoo Handbook is a remarkable work and explains the details.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

I have run Gentoo for approximately 2 years, since the 1.2 release, and find it
suits my needs better than any other distribution, and won't be changing in the
near future. It runs well on my old P/II desktop, my R40 thinkPad, and my son's
AMD Athlon 2500+.

[ ... ]

--
C. S.