[ltp] Re: Dual Output Displays (works, but resolution and peformance problems)

Wed, 4 May 2005 09:16:10 -0400

On 5/3/05, Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:
> Mark Stosberg wrote:
>=20
> > On 2005-04-25, Alex Deucher
> > <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can either download xorg cvs HEAD or grab one of the nightly
> >> binary snapshots here:
> >>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download#head-55420c59a1c2e9a70f07a6fa02f=
0d228ffb87b76

> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Here's how I got these binaries to install:
>=20
> I did get dual-head to work tonight! I had to make a couple of changes to=
 my
> xorg.conf file:
>=20
> For both screens I changed the DefaultColorDepth to 16 from 24. I couldn'=
> really tell a different.

16 bpp is the perferred depth for dualhead.  in 24 bpp, ScreentoScreen
copies on crtc2 cause corruption.  you can get around it by adding:
XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy
to the device section of your config.  I'll commit the proper fix to
cvs once I get my T20 back from a friend.

>=20
> I also set 'Options "NoAccel" in my device sections.

no accel will disable acceleration, that's why the performance is so bad.

>=20
> Then to test it, I switched a virtual console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logged=
 in
> as root. I restarted the X-server like this:
>=20
> # telinit 3
> # telinit 5
>=20
> It works as expected, with a couple of less important issues left to
> resolve:
>=20
> - The external LCD is only working 1024x768 instead of it's larger native
> resolution.

it should work at whatever res you chose.  please post your config and
log somewhere.

>=20
> - DVD playback is a litte choppy. Perhaps I'm missing a detail in my
> xorg.conf file that helps with this.

You need to enable acceleration.  Also I only have one video overlay
working at the moment (crtc1, the builtin LCD), so you can only use Xv
on that head for the moment.

Alex