[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #880 - 11 msgs

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2005 10:58:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, chris wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 12:01 +0200,
> linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:
> > I seem to be able to use my PCMCIA data cards only once in each
> > slot.  If I put it in a slot a second time, it seems to insert
> > correct according to the syslog but when i try to mount it I get:
> >
> >    mount: special device /dev/hde1 does not exist
>
> I never had a PCMCIA before, but from my experience with my USB drive, I
> need to umount it before I unplug it from the computer otherwise when
> time I mount it again, I need to increment the number by 1.
>
> e.g, mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
>
> unplug
>
> to mount it again, I need to
>
> mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
>
> but if I umount before I unplug, I don't have to change the mount
> device.

That's odd.  I would expect having to increment the device ID, not the
partition number.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would
instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and