[ltp] The neverending fan problem

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 04 May 2005 21:08:05 +0200

Hi all,

I have an R51 with Mandrake 10.1 installed. Until last week, the fan
switched on at 45-50 C (I don't have ibm-acpi, so I don't know which
temperature that is), and it turned off usually at around 35 C. So, with
normal usage, I enjoyed some silent periods.

These last two days, however, I'm finding the temperature doesn't go below
37 C, and that means the fan doesn't turn off. I have not updated the
kernel or made any "suspicious" configuration change. The only two things
I can think of are:

1- I have connected an usb mouse... but disconnecting it doesn't seem to
change anything.

2- It's May, I'm in Southern Spain, the weather is warmer (I only have the
computer since January)... Right now, this room is at 23-24 C, a couple of
weeks ago it could be 18-20 C (just guessing). Could this be the reason?
Is the cooling so weak it can't get under 14 C over room temperature? I
should probably try some further tests at night, with open windows...

PS. It seems my X server/driver doesn't support DynamicClocks. Maybe when
I upgrade I can get a lower temperature?