[ltp] X40, IBM's Rescue and Restore and preparation for installing Linux

Tony linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2005 21:26:23 -0400

O.K. I have taken the dive.  I am (hopefully) replacing my iBook (dual
booted with Ubuntu PPC) with an IBM X40.

I have just got my new X40 delivered today.  WOW is it small and lite!
 I am impressed.  If I can get Ubuntu running well on this puppy, I am
going to be a happy camper.

I got a good deal on it also, if anyone is interested email me for
details.  IBM Model 2371A9U list for $1829, got it on ebay for ~$1199
plus S&H.

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=
=3D8770685&storeId=3D10000001&langId=3D-1&categoryId=3D2059153&dualCurrId=
=3D1000073&catalogId=3D-840

I would like to create a restore disk before continuing to wipe off
windows and install Linux, in case I have any unexpected problems I
might need to reinstall XP.  I have not figured out yet how to create
the recovery discs from the information on the IBM website other than
I should be able to do so.  From the following page it states: "A set
of recovery CDs can be created in the IBM Rescue and Recovery (R&R)
predesktop area."  Also, I am using an old usb Iomega Zip 650 CD
burner and I am not sure it is supported to do this.

I am considering buying a second internal hard drive, since they are
so easy to remove and install and leave the original one alone.

I would assume that IBM's (R&R) features are not included in a
reinstall from a recovery disc?  (Certainly not from a MS-XP
installation disk?)  Is IBM's R&R features kept in a separate
partition on the hard drive?  Can I install Linux (replacing Windows)
without touching the R&R partition and still use the R&R in the future
if necessary?

Any information on this would be helpful.

Tony