[ltp] T40 DMI updating...

Ryan J. Chapman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 May 2005 18:01:42 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C55265.A8DE1B70

    I don't get it... I've correctly flashed my BIOS ROM with updated inform=
ation (system manufacturer, system serial #, board manufacturer, board seria=
l number, & new uuid).  Although WinPhlash says that both the .rom file I've=
 selected along with the "chip" (referring to my flashed BIOS ROM chip) both=
 have the new values, for some reason, the DMI on my T40 still reads the old=
 information for both serial numbers and the Motherboard manufacturer... Doe=
s anyone know if the embedded controller is somehow not letting my new setti=
ngs be statically set?  Using DMI Scope, I see the old values, and I cannot=20=
update any values using DMI Scope... :(
    The only way I was able to change the manufacturer for the system and th=
e chassis manufacturer was to use PHLASH16 (from Phoenix) using the followin=
g command line syntax:
    PHLASH16 /x /DMS:"WhatMyNameIz" DMC:"WhatMyNameIz" /bbl bios.rom /mode=
=3D3
    I'm wondering:  If my BIOS ROM has an invalid checksum (I didn't fix the=
 checksum to equal zero), does the embedded controller not allow certain DMI=
 strings to fully register?  Geesh... I swapped out my motherboard and I don=
't want my old information being associated with my new board :(.  Anyone ha=
ve any ideas?

- SurfKahuna
(I hope I don't get flamed for this... I can only guess what a 3rd party wou=
ld assume I'm wanting to change these numbers for... I really just got bewil=
dered by the fact that I correctly flashed my chip with new values... and th=
ey show as being resident... however the DMI strings for the old value are s=
till resident... it's KILLING me :-(!!!)

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C55265.A8DE1B70

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't get it... I've c=
orrectly=20
flashed my BIOS ROM with updated information (system manufacturer, system se=
rial=20
#, board manufacturer, board serial number, &amp; new uuid).&nbsp; Although=20
WinPhlash says that both the .rom file I've selected along with the "chip"=20
(referring to my flashed BIOS ROM chip) both have the new values, for some=20
reason, the DMI on my T40 still reads the old information for both serial=20
numbers and the Motherboard manufacturer... Does anyone know if the embedded=
=20
controller is somehow not letting my new settings be statically set?&nbsp; U=
sing=20
DMI Scope, I see the old values, and I cannot update any values using DMI=20
Scope... :(</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The only way I was able=20=
to=20
change the manufacturer for the system and the chassis manufacturer was to u=
se=20
PHLASH16 (from Phoenix) using the following command line syntax:</FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; PHLASH16 /x /DMS:"WhatMy=
NameIz"=20
DMC:"WhatMyNameIz" /bbl bios.rom /mode=3D3</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm wondering:&nbsp; If=20=
my BIOS=20
ROM has an invalid checksum (I didn't fix the checksum to equal zero), does=20=
the=20
embedded controller not allow certain DMI strings to fully register?&nbsp;=20
Geesh... I swapped out my motherboard and I don't want my old information be=
ing=20
associated with my new board :(.&nbsp; Anyone have any ideas?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- SurfKahuna</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(I hope I don't get flamed for this... I ca=
n only=20
guess what a 3rd party would assume I'm wanting to change these numbers for.=
.. I=20
really just got bewildered by the fact that I correctly flashed my chip with=
 new=20
values... and they show as being resident... however the DMI strings for the=
 old=20
value are still resident... it's KILLING me :-(!!!)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C55265.A8DE1B70--