[ltp] The neverending fan problem (and more)

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 08 May 2005 00:00:06 +0200

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:08:05 +0200, Ignacio Fernández Galván""
<jellby@softhome.net> wrote:

> PS. It seems my X server/driver doesn't support DynamicClocks. Maybe
> when I upgrade I can get a lower temperature?

I've upgraded to Mandriva 2005, with 2.6.11 kernel... and things look
worse. Now DynamicClocks is enabled (so says the Xorg log), but the
temperature does not go below 43 C. Probably the cpufreq scaling is partly
to blame. I was using powernowd to control the frequency, now I'm using
the built-in "ondemand" governor, and the behaviour seems a bit different,
it look more eager to jump to high freq... But even the "powersave"
governor has a hard time cooling below 40 C... I guess I should move to
Scandinavia, and paint the thinkpad white!

Another thing: previously I had some problems with the wired nic module
after suspending. With the new kernel that seems solved, but of course, I
get the power drain. In around 5h half the battery has been eaten while
suspended. This is my script.

#-----------------------
sync && sync && sync
radeontool light off
hwclock --systohc
#
echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state
#
sleep 2
hwclock --hctosys
radeontool light on
#-----------------------

According to ThinkWiki
(http://www.thinkwiki.org/Problem_with_high_power_drain_in_ACPI_sleep)
this is "normal". Is that really so? Does the only known solution involve
a kernel patching and compilation? It is, by the way, not a very small
patch, can I try to see if the gpu is the problem in an easier way (like
stopping X before suspending)?

And yet another one. I have set an acpi action for the power button
(poweroff). When the computer is suspended I can wake it up with the Fn
key or with the power button... The problem is, if I use the power button,
it sends the poweroff event immediately after wake-up. Is there a way to
avoid this?

Thanks