[ltp] Vendors for LCD replacement?

Chris Chiappa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 May 2005 09:53:39 -0400

Not really Linux-related (execpt in that the laptop in question runs Linux)
but I beg some indulgence given that Linux users tend to be somewhat more
clueful...

Some bonehead (read: the guy sending this email) got the LCD on my T42
2378-FVU cracked (14.1" 1400x1050).  I know this is going to cost me a fair
bit, but buying from IBM will of course run me "a lot" so I'm wondering if
anyone has any recommendation for third partys.  Are the replacement parts
offered by third parties generally the same as the original part or just
compatible?  If they're compatible, is there generally any difference in
quality?  IBM seems to list two FRU numbers for this model:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46502
  ID Tech 11P8346
  Samsung 11P8348

Their web site seems to list the Samsung at $476 and the ID Tech at $1221
(nearly the cost of the laptop). Do I need to match what is currently in my
machine, or should either work?  Despite the difference in price on the IBM
web site, www.idparts.com lists both for $375 which isn't too bad.

What is the replacement complexity of these?  I've swapped an LCD in an old
Thinkpad 755CX but the service manual's description of the replacement
process for the T42 seems a bit more complicated than what I remember.
Should I find a local shop to do it, or is it likely to be something an
amateur can handle?

Thanks in advance for any answers.  When I get through this I'll write
something up on ThinkWiki, I didn't see anything on there about repairs.

A couple of the vendors I've come across browsing Usenet:
http://store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/46l2493.html (don't seem to have
the relevant FRUs)
http://www.idparts.com/

--