[ltp] Options for ibm_acpi

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 May 2005 09:44:21 -0500

Quoting Ignacio Fern?ndez Galv?n <jellby@softhome.net>:
> Hi,
>
> With the new Mandrake/Mandriva kernel (2.6.11), there came ibm_acpi
> support (version 0.8, though). It works fine, but I have to "echo
> enable,0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey" at every boot. From the
> documentation, it looks as if I could put this as a module option in
> /etc/modprobe.conf, for example, but that doesn't work. Even if I try to
> manually load the module with options:
>
>   modprobe ibm_acpi hotkey=enable,0xffff
>
> the message is:
>
>   FATAL: Error inserting ibm_acpi
> (/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk-i686-up-4GB/kernel/drivers/acpi/ibm_acpi.ko.gz):
> No such device
>
> But just "modprobe ibm_acpi" or "modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1" does
> work. Any ideas? Is this a known bug for this kernel/ibm_acpi version?

Put "echo enable,0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey" into one of your boot
scripts.  I don't know Mandrake, so I can't give details.  Try
/etc/init.d/boot.local or something similar.  Usually there is some
file that is run at boot time.  Another possibility is to add this to
/etc/crontab:

@reboot	root	echo enable,0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey

HTH,
  Jeffrey