[ltp] Vendors for LCD replacement?

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 May 2005 12:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Some bonehead (read: the guy sending this email) got the LCD on my
> T42 2378-FVU cracked (14.1" 1400x1050).  I know this is going to
> cost me a fair bit, but buying from IBM will of course run me "a
> lot" so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation for third
> partys.

        This is another reason why I also added Thinkpad Protection
(TPP) when I bought my T42p. It covers exactly these kinds of things,
and over the $3,000 purchase price, the extra $153.00 was negligible.

        But in your case, I'd explore finding someone who works for
IBM and see if their EPP (Employee Purchase Price) can get it low
enough to swallow.

        Another option of course is to find a "junker" T42 for sale on
ebay for parts, with a working LCD (lots of sellers buy these up, take
all the parts out and sell them separately at greater overall profit).

> Thanks in advance for any answers.  When I get through this I'll
> write something up on ThinkWiki, I didn't see anything on there
> about repairs.

        Call IBM (assuming you bought it from them) and ask them if
you can add TPP to your existing warrantee, then see if they'll cover
that cracked LCD.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com