[ltp] Vendors for LCD replacement?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 08 May 2005 16:19:37 -0400

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>Some bonehead (read: the guy sending this email) got the LCD on my
>>T42 2378-FVU cracked (14.1" 1400x1050).  I know this is going to
>>cost me a fair bit, but buying from IBM will of course run me "a
>>lot" so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation for third
>>partys.
>

>         This is another reason why I also added Thinkpad Protection
> (TPP) when I bought my T42p. It covers exactly these kinds of things,
> and over the $3,000 purchase price, the extra $153.00 was negligible.
>
>         But in your case, I'd explore finding someone who works for
> IBM and see if their EPP (Employee Purchase Price) can get it low
> enough to swallow.

When I was working at IBM, the employee discount on hardware wasn't that
great.  Software, on the other hand, was a fraction of the regular price.

>         Another option of course is to find a "junker" T42 for sale on
> ebay for parts, with a working LCD (lots of sellers buy these up, take
> all the parts out and sell them separately at greater overall profit).
>

>>Thanks in advance for any answers.  When I get through this I'll
>>write something up on ThinkWiki, I didn't see anything on there
>>about repairs.
>

>         Call IBM (assuming you bought it from them) and ask them if
> you can add TPP to your existing warrantee, then see if they'll cover
> that cracked LCD.

Isn't that sort of like taking out insurance, after your home has burned
down?

He *MIGHT* be able to claim it on his home owners policy, if the damage
was accidental.