[ltp] Vendors for LCD replacement?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 08 May 2005 17:15:31 -0400

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>When I was working at IBM, the employee discount on hardware wasn't
>>that great.  Software, on the other hand, was a fraction of the
>>regular price.
>

> 	I just got $1,200 off of the price of a $2500 laptop through a
> friend who purchased it for me using his EPP discount. That's close to
> a 50% discount on hardware. I got the biggest, baddest model they had
> in this particular model series.

Was it new or "refurb"?  I bought my R31 a couple of years after I left
IBM.  It had been sold to someone who didn't even take it out of the
box, before returning it.  IBM then sold it as a refurbished, with a
$400 discount.  Also, IBM would occasionally have internal sales, where
an item was sold for significantly less than the normal employee price.
  They also had different prices, depending on the intended user.
Someone buying for himself would get a better deal, than if they were
buying for someone else, at the "Friends and Family" price.

As for software, I was able to buy Lotus Smart Suite, for my sister, at
around $30.  There were other packages that I got for free or close to
it.  I've still got a large box full of CDs of IBM software.  Some for
OS/2, Linux, Windows, DOS, AIX mainframes, databases and much much more.
Some of it, I haven't a clue what it's for.  ;-)

Incidentally, when I was there, I provided 3rd level OS/2 support to IBM
Canada employees.  I also did integration testing of the standard
desktop systems, on OS/2 and Windows.  Most of my work was on ThinkPads.