[ltp] Re: Vendors for LCD replacement?

Chris Chiappa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 May 2005 20:08:20 -0400

[ Replies to a couple of people mixed in ]

> Maybe try Ebay. I bought mine for a Dell there. I guess the worst thing
> that could happen, is that you don't get the ThinkLight working...
Yah, I grovelled around there for a bit but don't seem to see this
particular part.

> >        This is another reason why I also added Thinkpad Protection
> >(TPP) when I bought my T42p. It covers exactly these kinds of things,
> >and over the $3,000 purchase price, the extra $153.00 was negligible.
I was interested in adding this, but from what I could see, they only sell
this for business-use laptops.  I couldn't come up with any way to
rationalize this as anything but a personal machine, so I didn't get the
protection.

> >        But in your case, I'd explore finding someone who works for
> >IBM and see if their EPP (Employee Purchase Price) can get it low
> >enough to swallow.
This was in fact an EPP laptop, but poking around the site I don't see an
obvious way to order FRUs with the discount.

> >        Another option of course is to find a "junker" T42 for sale on
> >ebay for parts, with a working LCD (lots of sellers buy these up, take
> >all the parts out and sell them separately at greater overall profit).
Right, I've poked around for both used and spare parts but don't seem to see
the proper piece for the T42.

> >        Call IBM (assuming you bought it from them) and ask them if
> >you can add TPP to your existing warrantee, then see if they'll cover
> >that cracked LCD.
> Isn't that sort of like taking out insurance, after your home has burned
> down?
Yah, not the type of thing I would do.  I accept that it's my fault and I'll
have to pony up for it, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to look for a
good deal. :)  The $375 I see from idparts.com is really not so bad so I'll
probably end up getting that and replacing it myself, but I figured it was
worth seeing if I was overlooking anything obvious first.

Thanks for the advice.

--

..ooOO chris@chiappa.net              | My opinions are my own  OOoo..
..ooOO chris.chiappa@oracle.com       | and certainly not those OOoo..