[ltp] PCMCIA on TP380?

Bob Hutchinson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 May 2005 18:59:36 +0100

On Monday 02 May 2005 21:32, Cuddles wrote:
> Hi all. I just got an older ThinkPad 380 (gift from my fiancee), which I
> will be putting a mini-Linux distro on shortly. HOWEVER, I'm having some
> trouble getting the PCMCIA slots to work. They show up properly, but no
> matter what card I plug into them, nothing happens. I've tried a
> wireless ethernet card (GigaFast WF721-AEX), a wired ethernet card
> (Microsoft MN-120), and a PCMCIA hard drive (1 gig, unknown brand name).
> Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

I installed OpenBSD on a thinkpad 380 a while back, it picked up the pcmcia
network card no problem (ne2000)

It's really a matter of wether or not there are drivers available for your
card, a look at the logs when you insert, there should be a hint of some sort
there.
Also have a look in your modules directory, you might be able to figure out
which cards your distro is likely to support.
If you want to use wifi you will probably need to install wireless-tools and
make sure hotplug is configured correctly
Google will help with the above two points

HTH
--
Bob Hutchinson