Mr Ryan's auto-responder problem ... (Re: [ltp] Plese turn off James Ryan's auto responder!)

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 May 2005 10:19:48 +0200

James Ryan <jamesr@totalinfosecurity.com> writes:

> PS - If the list managers have control over it, they should upgrade
> to mailman 2.1.5 as soon as possible to avoid future problems.

I would suggest that you upgrade to vacation instead.  It has some nice
features that prevents this kind of clubie-mistake.  From vacation(1):

     No message will be sent unless login (or an alias supplied using the -a option) is part of either the
     ``To:'' or ``Cc:'' headers of the mail.  No messages from ``???-REQUEST'', ``Postmaster'', ``UUCP'',
     ``MAILER'', or ``MAILER-DAEMON'' will be replied to (where these strings are case insensitive) nor is a
     notification sent if a ``Precedence: bulk'', ``Precedence: list'' or ``Precedence: junk'' line is
     included in the mail headers.  The people who have sent you messages are maintained as a db(3) database
     in the file .vacation.db in your home directory.

Bjørn