Xircom modem woes (was:Re: [ltp] Lightening Debian - update)

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:34 +1200

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:45, Martin Samuelsson wrote:
> cr @ 2005-05-09 (Monday), 09:48 (+1200)
>
> > Which makes me wonder, is the on-board modem interfering, and if so, how
> > do I turn it off?   IBM's BIOS setup isn't any help.
>
> If only trying to use it with kppp, my guess is that you would be better
> off testing using a serial terminal software against the modem and see
> if it reacts to Hayes commands. Without any doubt, minicom is the
> package to install.

Tried Minicom.   Modem gives no reaction at all.
With KPPP (which has a mini-terminal), the terminal won't start up, KPPP just
reports 'Modem busy'.    But it most certainly isn't busy.

It isn't a modem card fault, since it works fine when I swap my Win98 hard
drive back in and boot that.

Previously, it was giving a response to KPPP, albeit a very slow one, but I
think I may have screwed something by pulling the modem card out at the wrong
time or something of the sort.   And now KPPP just says 'modem busy'.   I'm
wondering if it's left a corrupted file or a lock file or similar in  pppd.

cr