Xircom modem woes (was:Re: [ltp] Lightening Debian - update)

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 May 2005 23:03:20 +1200

On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28, cr wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:45, Martin Samuelsson wrote:
> > cr @ 2005-05-09 (Monday), 09:48 (+1200)
> >
> > > Which makes me wonder, is the on-board modem interfering, and if so, how
> > > do I turn it off?   IBM's BIOS setup isn't any help.
> >
> > If only trying to use it with kppp, my guess is that you would be better
> > off testing using a serial terminal software against the modem and see
> > if it reacts to Hayes commands. Without any doubt, minicom is the
> > package to install.
>
> Tried Minicom.   Modem gives no reaction at all.
> With KPPP (which has a mini-terminal), the terminal won't start up, KPPP just
> reports 'Modem busy'.    But it most certainly isn't busy.
>
> It isn't a modem card fault, since it works fine when I swap my Win98 hard
> drive back in and boot that.
You may have to set up the serial port for it to work.
the commands
stty /dev/<modem-device>
and
setserial /dev/<modem-device>
are the ones to use, particularly the latter.

man stty and man setserial are your friends.

> Previously, it was giving a response to KPPP, albeit a very slow one, but I
> think I may have screwed something by pulling the modem card out at the wrong
> time or something of the sort.   And now KPPP just says 'modem busy'.   I'm
> wondering if it's left a corrupted file or a lock file or similar in  pppd.

That could well be the case.
Have a look in the lock files directory with the command:-
# ls -lRa /var/lock/

If there is a spurious lock file just delete it, and try again.

--
C. S.