[ltp] T30 ACPI Sleep on Lid Close

Michael B Allen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 14:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

What is the proper method for handling suspend/resume on a T30?

I just installed Fedora Core 3 to find the machine no longer suspends when
I close the lid. After a little googling I see it has to do with ACPI.
Indeed if I modify /etc/grub.conf to read:

   ... rhgb quiet acpi=off

it suspends when I close the lid just as it did with my old RH 7.3 install.

But I do not want to be the exception or I might run into exceptional
things so I'm wondering if ACPI suspend can be made to work as nicely as
it does with APM. If I do:

   echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

It appears to suspend the machine but the backlight stays on. I've seen
some funky scripts using "radeontool" to turn off the backlight and
suspend but this still doesn't tie-in lid events.

Has anyone devised a solid method for suspending and resuming when closing
and opening the lid on a T30?

If not, can someone give me pointers for the interfaces involved? I am a
competent C programmer and I would be happy to develop a small utility to
handle all of this stuff as transparently as possible.

Thanks,
Mike