[ltp] usb mouse on x30 with fedora core 3

Michael Moyle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 May 2005 03:43:22 +0900

All,

When I connect my usb mouse to the x30 it's performance (in x)  is
choppy, unreliable, and eventually ceases to function altogether.

Most examples I have seen (and used with gentoo) entail the trackpointer
and the usb mouse on different devices. FC3 puts both mice on the same
device (/dev/input/mice). Indeed, gpm is configured to run this device
as well. Both gpm and X are unhappy sharing the device in this manner.

Does anyone have a working example of sharing the trackpointer and usb
mouse on fc3 or 2?

It seems to me that it would be better if the trackpointer was forced
back onto /dev/mouse (which does not exist presently). I have no idea
how to put the trackpointer on /dev/mouse.

Then the challenge is to set AlwaysCore or SendCoreEvents on the right
device, and there seems to be some disagreement on this in the examples
I have seen. My former gentoo setup worked marginally ok. The usb mouse
would still crash on occasion. In fact that is one reason I am trying
out fc3 now.

thanks in advance,
Michael