[ltp] power supply DC cords breaks?

Dean Hedin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2005 22:00:36 -0400

> 6 months is hardly "over time". My country's currency is 6 times weaker
> than the US, which makes it kind of a highly expensive piece of equipment.
> (like a Rotel hi-fi)
>
> At this price, the only thing I feel like soldering is an IBM engineer.
> :-p

6 months does seem quick. But it might be related to your usage.  If it's
the case where you are
moving the unit every day and wrapping up the cord up in the morning & the
evening then the failure is not such a suprize.

If you use your unit at both home and work, then having a docking station at
work with it's own power supply goes along way towards
resolving the issue.

I think I have replaced the jack on the power supply for my 600e two or
three times.   My T30 supply has managed two
years but I think I am a bit more wiser and hence a little more careful with
it.

I don't know,  I just don't get upset anymore when a cable breaks.

If I find the cable in question breaks often, then the next time I repair it
I try to strengthen it up in some way.  Thicker cord,  better strain relief,
fill the connector with epoxy, etc...

For the manufacturers I am sure it's a balance game.  If they used a thick
cord, then customers who travel would complain that it's too heavy & clumsy.
If they use test equipment grade silicone wire then the power supply would
add to much to the cost.

This is why we all subconciously like "cordless".   We all wait for the day
when we have a fuel cell in our laptop/cellphones and all we have to do is
fill it up with alcohol and it runs for days...